Austral & Leppington North Precincts Rezoned
The Minister for Planning & Infrastrucure recently announced that the Austral & Leppington North Precincts have been rezoned for urban development.
The Precincts will deliver capacity for approximately 17,350 new homes for over 54,000 residents. When fully developed the Precincts will also feature:
- Leppington Major Centre with regional shopping, employment, cultural and community facilities
- New Leppington station
- 3 neighbourhood centres
- 220 hectares of employment land
- 135 hectares of open space and recreation areas
- Upgrades to major roads
- New primary and high schools
- Protection of 116 hectares of significant vegetation, and major creek corridors
- New pedestrian and cycle links
Leppington Major Centre
A Major Centre is proposed at Leppington where jobs, shopping, entertainment, community and government services will be focused for 300,000 new residents of the South West Growth Centre. Key features of the plan for the Major Centre include:
- Establishment of the major retail and commercial centre for the South West centred around the new Leppington Station
- Capacity for approximately 13,000 retail, bulky goods, commercial and service jobs
- Civic Precinct within the major centre comprising of a new TAFE campus, council community facilities and Integrated Health Care Centre
- Opportunities for denser housing in close proximity to the new Leppington Station
- New open space and recreation areas
- New pedestrian and cycle links
The Precinct Plans are the result of an extensive process managed by the Department of Planning and Infrastructure, in consultation with Liverpool and Camden Councils, stakeholders and landowners.
Following public exhibition of the draft Precinct Plans for Austral and Leppington North in November/December 2011 and community feedback, the Precinct Plans were amended to:
- Increase the amount of land zoned for residential development.
- Reduce the amount of land for public open space and drainage infrastructure, while still ensuring that appropriate standards are maintained.
- Refine the planning for the Leppington Major Centre including simplifying the road network, amending the zoning of the ‘civic precinct’ to allow greater flexibility, and improving the relationship between development and open space along the creek corridors.
- Improve the layout of the neighbourhood centres to better respond to the types of retail and commercial development likely to occur in these zones.
- Respond to revised flood modelling and the development potential of land affected by flooding.
- Ensure that native vegetation is protected in accordance with the biodiversity certification for the Growth Centres.
- Simplify and consolidate the controls under the Growth Centres SEPP and the Development Control Plans that now apply to the land.
- Ensure that land needed for essential infrastructure, including schools, water, waste water and electricity supply, is clearly identified.
- Facilitate subdivision of the relatively small existing rural allotments through appropriate design of the road network
More information is contained in the Guide to Rezoning brochure below.
Implications for landowners
Although land has been rezoned, landowners do not have to develop their land. Landowners can choose to develop all or part of their property or not to develop at all. Under ‘existing use rights’, landowners can continue with current uses (provided the use is already lawfully commenced).
The rezoning is accompanied by Development Control Plans (DCPs), which set out the standards and requirements for particular types of development. Separate DCPs apply to land in the Camden and Liverpool Council areas.
Section 94 Contributions Plans, which details the local infrastructure required to support development have been publicly exhibited by both Camden and Liverpool Councils, and will be finalised in the near future
The Department will continue to work with landowners, developers, Councils and infrastructure delivery agencies to assist in the development of the Precincts after rezoning.
Now that the rezoning has been finalised, the local Council is responsible for providing information about zoning and planning controls in the Austral & Leppington North Precincts. Copies of the Development Control Plans and Section 94 Contributions Plans can be obtained from the local Council.
The finalised Precinct Planning package for the Austral & Leppington North Precincts, which consists of technical studies and reports is available on the Department's website, click here.
For a copy of the final Indicative Layout Plan (ILP) click here.
For a copy of the previously exhibited documents please visit the Austral page.
The planning controls for land in the Austral & Leppington North Precincts are detailed in the State Environmental Planning Policy (Sydney Region Growth Centres) 2006, also referred to as "the Growth Centres SEPP". To see which planing controls apply to your land click here.
For more information please call the local Council or the Growth Centres Information Line on 1300 730 550 or email email@example.com.
|Guide to Rezoning Brochure March 2013||6||3.1Mb|
|Guide to Exhibition Brochure||8||2.7Mb|
|Leppington Major Centre Brochure||4||3.7Mb|
|Community Update 1||2||1.0Mb|
|Community Update 2||2||1.8Mb|
|Community Update 3||4||3.4Mb|
Post Exhibition Planning Documents
Camden Council Growth Centre Precincts Development Contol PLan (DCP) 2012
|Camden Council Growth Centre Precincts DCP (Part1)||123||5.0Mb|
|Camden Council Growth Centre Precincts DCP (Part2)||95||1.7Mb|
|Camden Council Growth Centre Precincts DCP (Part3)||15||5.6Mb|
|Camden Council Growth Centre Precincts DCP (Part4)||37||2.0Mb|
|Camden Council Growth Centre Precincts DCP (Part5)||71||3.5Mb|
|Camden Council Growth Centre Precincts DCP (Part6)||40||3.2Mb|
Liverpool Council Growth Centre Precincts Development Contol PLan (DCP) 2012
|Revised Austral/Leppington North Boundary & Investigation Area Map||1||2.1Mb|
|Leppington North Precinct Contour Map||1||1.7Mb|
|Leppington North Precinct Aerial Map||1||7.2Mb|